Friday, March 2, 2012

Sleep Disorders


A friend of mine turned me onto the possibility that my historically inconsistent sleep schedule might be due not entirely to behavioral factors but a sleep disorder. Her initial suggestion was delayed sleep phase disorder, but that's simply a shift in one's daily schedule. I tried to remember how I've been sleeping for the past few days, and this is what I came up with:


Sunday

Sleep: 5am

Monday

Wake: 9am
Nap: 2-4pm
Sleep: 1:30am

Tuesday

Wake: 5:30pm
Sleep: 4am

Wednesday

Wake: 7am
Nap: 2pm-5:30pm
Sleep: 12:30am

Thursday

Wake: 8am
Nap: 1-2am
Sleep: None

Friday (Today)

Wake: None

I haven't taken any drugs and I only had a few beers on Monday night, so the cursory impression is that something is seriously wrong. With that in mind, I'll be keeping a log of my sleep during this month, and hopefully by April I'll have enough data to schedule a doctor's visit. Most related conditions stem from a hormonal imbalance, which I suppose isn't the worst thing in the world.


If you are also suffering from sleep-related problems, check out these resources from the CDC and WebMD, and consider seeing a professional.

1 comment: